tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 08:31:16 2004

Re: it; SIS

From: "Alan Anderson" <[email protected]>

> >> What do you mean, "*WE* don't"?  You just quoted it!  I'll quote it
again:

> ja' SuStel:
> >So a Klingon sticks his hand out the window and announces, /SIS/.  You
ask,
> >/SIS nuq?/  The Klingon, feeling patient, answers the question.  What is
his
> >answer?
>
> SIS 'eng'e' jay'.  qatlh bIghelnIStaHqu'?

I wanted someone to say it, and stand behind it.  So is it your contention
that when a Klingon says /SIS/, he means /SIS 'eng/?  You're saying that
/'eng/ is the elided word?

Are you sure that /chal/ doesn't /SIS/?  Are you sure that /Dung/ doesn't
/SIS/?  Could it be that any or all of these are possible, and the reason
for the elided word in the common phrase is that it generally doesn't matter
which of these it is?  Why is /SIS/ (and, presumably, the other weather
words) singled out for special it's-too-obvious-to-say treatment?  And why
is there such resistance to considering this on the list?

SuStel
Stardate 4248.2

Back to archive top level