tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 15 06:29:46 2004

Re: Opinions needed on Klingon pIqaD keyboard mapping

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Sunday 14 March 2004 22:33, Qov wrote:
> Do you use the semi-official Klingon pIqaD glyphs, or think you
> might in the future?  Klingon was rejected for inclusion in Unicode
> because almost everyone uses the romanization, but this is a
> catch-22 because the technological barrier prevents us from
> communicating in pIqaD. Let's fix that.

Cool.  Glad to hear that you're interested!  The good news is that
there will be no cost for the license for the program
(OpenOffice.org), and I'm sure that you will be able to communicate in
plqaD.  However, it's a matter of generating excitement in the
Klingonist community to do this, because it's a huge project.

Qo'noS.

> It's not actually that hard to learn (I was pleasantly surprised),
> and it's fun.
>
> Please reply to <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected] if you
> wish to discuss this writing system.
>
> There are a number of fonts and keyboard mappings out there. We
> should standardize a keyboard mapping that accommodates everyone's
> preferences. Are there any keys you would like to use to produce
> particular characters, or symbols that are missing?
>
> Press this                  to get this
> ------------------             ---------------------
>
> tilde (~)                    Klingon symbol for Empire aka Klingon
> Mumification Glyph
> Numbers 1-0             pIqaD digits.
> Shifted numbers        as US keyboard: !@#$%^&*()
> Hyphen (-)               same (-)
> Underscore(_)           same (_)
> +/=                           up triangle/down triangle (punctuation
> seen in on-screen pIqaD)
> q                         q symbol
> Q                              Q symbol
> k                               q symbol
> K                              q symbol
> H                              H symbol
> h                               does *nothing*, to prevent people
> from typing chh and ghh all the time
> N                              ng symbol
> f                                ng symbol
> x                               tlh symbol
> T                               tlh symbol
> c                               ch symbol
> g                               gh symbol
> z                               '
> All other letters           corresponding symbol, regardless of
> whether upper or lower case is typed.
> < >                            angle quotes, as seen in French
> All other punctuation    same as US layout
>
> I apologize for the overlap between mailing lists.  I'm on all of
> them too. Please forward to anyone you know who uses pIqaD but isn't
> on these lists.

Back to archive top level