tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 15 06:06:39 2004

Re: KLBC Prefix trick

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "QeS lagh" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: KLBC {chennISmoH}

> Now for a KLBC question of my own: Must the prefix trick be used to
indicate
> double direct objects? For instance, in causative transitive verbs? (eg.
> {qagh vISopmoH } "I make him eat gagh".)

The answer to your question is "yes", but your example sentence, {qagh
vISopmoH} means *only* "I cause {qagh} to eat". It is perfectly acceptable,
however, to say something like:

{qagh SaSopmoH} "I'll make y'all eat {qagh}."

The prefix trick does not work when there is a third-person indirect object.
The only examples of the "prefix trick" that I know of in canon are in PK:

{ghIchwIj DabochmoHchugh, ghIchlIj qanob} "If you shine my nose, I'll give
you your nose."
{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob} "Give me the Rokeg blood pie."

Your sentence would need to be recast into two:
{qagh Sop. vISopmoH.} "He eats {qagh}. I cause him to eat."

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/