tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 04 17:51:07 2004

Re: [KLBC] "I love you" word (sentence) order

Thorwald Peeters ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

<quote who="[email protected]">
> ghItlh Scott Willis <[email protected]>:
>
>> > my question is: is this word/sentence order right? I would personally
>> > translate "I love you" with "SoHvaD bang vIghajtaH" (for you love I
>> > have it continuously).

>> Your word order is correct, though. Klingon objects come BEFORE the
>> verb. If
>> you want to do it this way, the proper order is {SoHvaD bang vIghajtaH}.

> Doesn't bang mean "one who is loved" and not "love"? As in "bangwI'
> joHwI' je" - "My beloved and my lord"..

> "SoHvaD bang vIghajtaH" would mean "I continuously have one who is loved
> for you", qar'a'?

I was wondering about this too, as the dictionary (klingonska akademien
one) I use states "love" together with "one who is loved" and "beloved".
But then there is {bang bom} meaning "love song". This seems to indicate
that {bang} is both receiver and object given.

> qurgh

Thorwald Peeters
a.k.a. qa'pIn qorghon puqloD, q'meQ tuq
a.k.a. SoplaHtaHwI'