tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 04 17:03:33 2004

Re: [KLBC] "I love you" word (sentence) order

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thorwald Peeters" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 9:32 AM
Subject: [KLBC] "I love you" word (sentence) order

> I come across a klingon sentence on my surfing on the net sometimes, which
> today (and earlier) throws up questions.
>
> The sentence is {SoHvaD vIghajtaH bang}, which literally (I hope)
> translates to "for you I have it continuously love"
>
> my question is: is this word/sentence order right? I would personally
> translate "I love you" with "SoHvaD bang vIghajtaH" (for you love I have
> it continuously).
>
> Am I making a stupid mistake here, or are all those documents wrong?

You will find yourelf positively shocked at the amount of bad Klingon
floating around out there. }}: )

Your word order is correct, though. Klingon objects come BEFORE the verb. If
you want to do it this way, the proper order is {SoHvaD bang vIghajtaH}.

But there are alternatives. I have seen both {qaparHa'} "I like you" and (my
personal fave) {qamuSHa'} "I un-hate you".

Just some ideas.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute