tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 10 14:53:08 2002

Re: tuQ (was: HoD tlhaq Duy'choHmoH 'Iv)

> > > cause to wear?
> >
> > I agree it sounds weird, but that's how it's glossed in TKD.
> >
> > tuQmoH  -  put on (clothes) (v)
>
> I think it's supposed to work as follows:
>
> tuQHa'moH
> undress (someone)
>
> tuQmoH
> dress (someone) ("cause someone to wear")

But the glosses in TKD do not include "(someone)".

> 'avwI' vul tuQHa'moH qama'.
> The prisoner undresses the unconscious guard.

I agree that this is a more logical usage, if he hadn't given us any suffixed
glosses.

canon:

qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'
I've taken off my belt.
(slang for "Your secret's safe with me.")
<<<

Except for the typo of the placement of -Ha', MO used this as he has it
glossed.  The subject is not undressing another person; there is no -'egh
either.  The object is the clothing he is taking off of himself.

DloraH

Back to archive top level