tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 06 13:07:37 2002

Re: HeghmeH QaQbogh jaj yIngu'

tulwI':
> > thank you. a "dependent clause" is a sentence, whos verb has a type 9
> > verb suffix, right? so, type 9 clauses can appear in the header or
> > after the body. but how do we call the are behind the body? tail?

SuStel:
>They're not "in the header."  They're before or after the main sentence.
>Individual words or noun phrases will go in what we call the "header" (where
>adverbials and non-subject/non-object nouns and noun phrases go), but
>subordinate clauses go either before or after all of that.  There are no
>established names for the placement of these clauses.

Hmm... if we're looking for a name, perhaps we could call them an {lIHmeH
mu'tlheghHom} "introductory clause" or {mu'tlheghHom nIv} "superior [i.e.
main] clause" vs. {mu'tlheghHom QIv} "inferior [i.e. dependent] clause"?

I admit I haven't been following the entire discussion about headers, but I
must say that I think tulwI' is still a little confused.  Just because an
introductory dependent clause precedes the main clause doesn't make it part
of what we call the "header".  Each OVS clause may have its own "header"
(usually containing at an adverbial or adverbial phrase).

For example each of the four clauses in these two sentences contains a header:

   batlh jagh DajeymeH, nIteb DaSuvrup.
   To defeat an enemy honorably, be ready to fight him alone.

headers = {batlh} and {nIteb}

   wa'Hu' HIvmeH yo'chaj wIjeyta'mo', DaHjaj tagha' yermajvo' HeDchoH
    romuluSnganpu'.
   Because we defeated their attack fleet yesterday, the Romulans
    finally began to withdraw from our territory today.

headers = {wa'Hu'} and {DaHjaj tagha' yermajvo'}

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level