tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 10:06:41 2002

Re: HeghmeH QaQbogh jaj yIngu'

tulwI' asks:

>>jIQupqa' vIneH'a' jIH? loQ. loQ jIpay. loQ jIchoH vIneH. jIQupqa' vIneH
>>'ach qanwI' Sov vISov vIneH, jIQuptaHvIS. DuHHa'.
>
>grammar question:
>is it really possible to add /jIQuptaHvIS/ _after_ the ovs-structure
>(i.e., after the body)? i thought that a phrase like /jIQuptaHvIS/ must go
>into the header.

No.  Dependent clauses can go either before or after the main clause.  Cf.
TKD (p.63) for an explicit example:

   SutlhtaHvIS chaH DIHIvpu' = DIHIvpu' SutlhtaHvIS chaH
   While they were negotiating we attacked them.

Stating the dependent clause first is apparently a matter of good - or, at
least, the most common - Klingon style.  It's not a grammatical requirement.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level