tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 30 12:35:06 2002

Re: KLBC: noH Qujmey

DloraH, paintball god, wrote:
> > tlhIngan Hol jatlh nuvpu' 'ej noH Quj SuvwI'pu' vInej.
> > I seek people who speak klingon and are war game warriors.
>
>For this we want the -bogh suffix.
>tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh nuvpu'  "people which speak klingon".
>   [...]
>We want to connect both qualities into each person.
>
>tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh veS Quj SuvwI'pu' vInej.
>"I look for paintball warriors that speak klingon."

Don't forget the correct prefix:

   tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh SuvwI'pu'
   warriors who speak Klingon

{lujatlh} "they speak it"

A style note:  When using a relative {-bogh} clause with an object like
this, consider tagging {SuvwI'pu'} with the topic marker {-'e'} to indicate
the precise object of the main verb {nej}:

   tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh veS Quj SuvwI'pu''e' vInej.
   I seek (the) paintball warriors who speak Klingon.

Without {-'e'}, the sentence is somewhat ambiguous and can also be
translated as "I seek the Klingon that paintball warriors speak".  (Maybe
you're collecting Klingon paintball jargon.)  If this unlikely version is
what you actually mean, you can also tag the object of the relative clause
with {-'e'}:

   tlhIngan Hol'e' lujatlhbogh veS Quj SuvwI'pu' vInej.
   I seek the Klingon that paintball warriors speak.

Using {-'e'} like this is optional and, considering the context in this
case, probably unnecessary but it's something to keep in mind.

> > tlhIngan noH Quj tuq vIchenmoH vIneH 'ach SuvwI'pu' vItu'nIS.
> > --I would like to create a Klingon Paintball team but I need warriors.
> > [I know this is also weak... suggestions?]

How about *{QujwI'ghom} "team" [group of game players] - modelled on
{tIjwI'ghom} "boarding party" [group of boarders]?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level