tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 09:01:05 2002

Re: romanization

> >latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang
> >I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass (KGT)
> >
> >reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law', Hoch tuj puS.
> >The fire is always hottest on someone else's face. (PK)
> >
> >HeghDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' pagh tlhIngan SuvwI' HoHlu'DI' Heghtay lulop
> >latlh tlhInganpu'.
> >When a Klingon warrior dies or is killed, other Klingons may perform
> >... the Klingon death ritual (Skybox 31)
> >
> >Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey.
> >[The] yell ... warn[s] the other dead. (Skybox 31)
>
> thank you.
> so <latlh> is a noun. <latlh tlhInganpu'> is "the others of the
> klingons", right?

Well, no.  This particular example sounds really weird, but it would be closer
to "klingons of others".  Let's use other examples that don't sound so bad.

Here's how I think when working with noun-noun constructions.
... N1 N2 ...
Of all the N2s in the universe, this is refering to the one that has to do with
N1.  N1 narrows the set of possible choices.

HoD taj "the captain's knife".  Of all the knives out there, this is the one
that has to do with the captain.

baS raS "metal table".  Of all the tables, this one has to do with metal.

In an example someone provided above we have /latlh HIvje'/ "another glass".
Of all the glasses, this one is another one; instead of my cup, it is the cup
of another.

Here's two that simply switch the word order.
tlhIngan be' "a klingon female".  Of all the females (all races), this one is
Klingon.
be' tlhIngan "a female klingon".  Of all the klingons (both genders), this one
is a female.

> btw: "glass" - "HIvje'" does it mean only the container "glass" or
> also the material "glass"?

Only the container for drinking; whatever the material.  Glass, metal, plastic,
ceramic.
We don't have a word for the material "glass".

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level