tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 13 12:15:46 2002

Re: romanization

Stephan Schneider schrieb:
>what kind of construction is "latlh pat"? is it N-N? it seems like
>yes. so it would be "the system of an additional". right?

latlh is usually construed as "other", cf. German "ander". Consider the
following examples:

latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang
I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass (KGT)

reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law', Hoch tuj puS.
The fire is always hottest on someone else's face. (PK)

HeghDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' pagh tlhIngan SuvwI' HoHlu'DI' Heghtay lulop latlh
tlhInganpu'.
When a Klingon warrior dies or is killed, other Klingons may perform ... the
Klingon death ritual (Skybox 31)

Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey.
[The] yell ... warn[s] the other dead. (Skybox 31)

By the way, where did the English text for the Skybox cards come from?
Obviously Okrand produced the Klingon, but did he translate it directly from
the English presented there, or is that English a backtranslation? What did
the original Skybox cards look like? (I wish I had one to look at. :)

--
Andrew Strader

Back to archive top level