tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 04:25:28 2002

Re: romanization

Andrew Strader:

>>what kind of construction is "latlh pat"? is it N-N? it seems like
>>yes. so it would be "the system of an additional". right?
>
>latlh is usually construed as "other", cf. German "ander". Consider the
>following examples:
>
>latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang
>I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass (KGT)
>
>reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law', Hoch tuj puS.
>The fire is always hottest on someone else's face. (PK)
>
>HeghDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' pagh tlhIngan SuvwI' HoHlu'DI' Heghtay lulop latlh
>tlhInganpu'.
>When a Klingon warrior dies or is killed, other Klingons may perform ... the
>Klingon death ritual (Skybox 31)
>
>Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey.
>[The] yell ... warn[s] the other dead. (Skybox 31)

thank you.
so <latlh> is a noun. <latlh tlhInganpu'> is "the others of the
klingons", right?

>By the way, where did the English text for the Skybox cards come from?
>Obviously Okrand produced the Klingon, but did he translate it directly from
>the English presented there, or is that English a backtranslation? What did
>the original Skybox cards look like? (I wish I had one to look at. :)

what is a skybox card?

btw: "glass" - "HIvje'" does it mean only the container "glass" or
also the material "glass"?

bye,
sts.

Back to archive top level