tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 10:51:56 2002

Re: grammar question

Stephan Schneider:
> > is there a difference?
> >   Sam = locate
> >   nejlI' = to search until the end

SuStel:
>There certainly is!  /Sam/ means "seek and find."  It is neutral with
>respect to aspect (it's not completed or in progress).  It implies that
>the object of the verb is, in fact, found at some point.

Or, at least, is expected to be found.  The best example showing the
difference between {Sam} and {nej} comes from "The Klingon Way":

   'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej
   When an escaped prisoner looks for a guard, he always finds one.

Another good example was seen in the KCD game:

   romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
   a Romulan hunter-killer probe [device]

Other examples of {Sam} "locate, seek and find" in canon are:

   cheng'e' DaH Sam!
   Find Chang. ST6

   HaqwI''e' DaH yISam
   Find the SURGEON now! TKD

   Qel vISamnIS.
   I need to find a doctor. CK

   motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
   The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a complex
   target acquisition grid. SP3

   HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
   To find ale, go into a bar. TKW

   yIvoq 'ach lojmItmey yISam
   Trust, but locate the doors. TKW

   chotwI' DaSamjaj
   May you find the murderer. KGT

>/nejlI'/ means "search for continuously (with a definite stopping point)."
>It is an action in progress.  It does not imply that the object of the verb
>is indeed found, but neither does it prohibit this.  It also does not
>necessarily imply that the finding of the object is the definite stopping
>point.  (Maybe I have a time limit on my search, for instance: ngabpu'
>lupDujHom.  'oH nejlI' 'entepray'.  'ach HovpoH cha' chorgh cha' wej vI'
>chorgh mejnIS Duj.  "The shuttlecraft has disappeared.  The Enterprise is
>searching for it.  But the ship needs to leave at Stardate 2823.8.")

Examples of {nej} "look for, seek, search for" in canon:

   vInejqa'
   I am resuming the search. I am searching for him/her again. TKD

   jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH
   They are searching for the enemy in order to kill him. TKD

A {nejwI'} is a probe, a device sent out to search for something, but with
no firm expectation of finding it (although one can always hope):

   nejwI' tIQ 'oH.
   [It's] A probe of ancient origin. ST5

A related verb is {ghoch} "track, track down".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level