tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 22 18:11:07 2002

RE: 'e' with a to be verb

>> Can you use to be verbs on 'e'?
>
>It's a good thing you included examples.  :P
>

>> For example:
>>
>> Person 1: loS ben USADaq jIpaw ( I arrived in the USA 4 years ago)
>> Person 2: 'e' nI'qu' vIQub ( I think that's a very long time)
>>
>> Or
>>
>> Person 1: may'Daq jIHeghbe' ( I didn't die in the battle)
>> Person 2: 'e' QaQ vISov ( I know that's good)
>
>In both of these, in the english, "that" is acting as a subject.  In
the
>klingon, 'e' is sitting in the object's place, and that is the only
place >it can be.

Hmm.... if I say 'e' vISov, 'e' is acting as the object, qar'a'?

If I do DIS QaQ vISov, DIS QaQ is the object and QaQ is acting as an
adjective.

So why does 'e' become a subject when I use a verb as an adjective on
it?

That's what I should have said when I used "a to be" verb, using a verb
as a adjective. I can't do that on 'e'?

>Also, the place at which you are arriving is the direct object of paw.
>USA vIpaw - I arrive at the USA
>DujDaq jIpaw - I arrived on a ship
>DujDaq USA vIpaw - I arrived at the USA on a ship.

Hmmm... so I said, "I arrived on the USA" (which is prolly right, since
I was in a plane and it landed on US soil ;), but I know what you mean.
So the question then is, if "at" is in paw, and "on" is in -Daq... where
is "in" and how do you decide that it's in paw and not in -Daq? ;)

qurgh

Back to archive top level