tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 16 12:26:59 2002

Re: multiple N-ns5 in the "header area"

>> ...{qen}, {reH}, and {roD} are adverbial chuvmey, and not the kind of
>"time
>> element" nouns that I'm sure SuStel was referring to.

ja' SuStel:
>It's a tricky topic.  The actual text of TKD (p. 179) says "It is possible
>for an element of another type to precede the adverb.  Most commonly, this
>is a time element . . . ."
>
>What exactly is "an element of another type"?  Must it be a noun?  We still
>don't know if we're allowed to put multiple adverbials on a sentence; could
>the other type of element also be an adverbial?

TKD's phrasing of "precede the adverb" implies that the other element
probably isn't an adverb.

>We've seen a lot of evidence that suggests the header area's order is
>variable.  It might just be that "time element" in TKD refers to adverbials
>related to time.  Or it might not.

Based on the examples, I'd go with "not".  {wa'Hu'} and {cha'maH wa' vatlh
rep} aren't adverbials.

>Heh.  A nearby topic:
>
>DaH HaqwI' yISam.
>Adverbial, Object, Verb.
>
>HaqwI''e' DaH yISam.
>Header noun, Adverbial, Verb.
>(NOT misplaced Object, Adverbial, Verb.)

I don't have TKD handy to quote, but I'm certain that {HaqwI''e'} *is* an
object noun in that sentence.  The relevant description says that an
adverbial may come after the object if the object is marked with the {-'e'}
"topic" suffix.  You may quibble about your intended meaning of
"misplaced", but it remains an object.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level