tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 15 12:53:05 2002

Re: poH nI'

Stephan Schneider wrote:
> >> vaj jIloS.  'ej jIloS.  nI' poH jIloStaH.  tagha' mavIHqa'.
> >
> > don't we have to say /poH nI' jIloStaH/?

SuStel:
>Actually, you have to say /qaStaHvIS poH nI' jIloStaH/.

Not so fast.  I noticed that {loS} is glossed "wait for" not just "wait",
which means it can take an object.  The question is: Wait for what?  A
person or a time period?  Unfortunately, our two examples from canon do not
show an object:

   loS... qIb HeHDaq
   It waits... on the edge of the galaxy (SkyBox DS99)

   DaH maloS.  peghItlh!
   [untranslated opening message] (MSN st-expert_forum [8/96])

In this {loS] resembles {SIQ}:

   yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep
   Live long and prosper! (Radio Times)
   (lit. "Endure/bear a long life and be prosperous!")

Although I admit that this is not quite the same thing, but the original
poster may well have been right, though s/he should have used the object
prefix:

   poH nI' vIloStaH.
   I was waiting for a long time.

>                                                     We have no evidence
>that durations can stand on their own as noun phrases, though we do have
>evidence that they are expressed as subordinate clauses.

Examples of durations using {qaStaHvIS}:

   qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
   4,000 throats may be cut in one night by a running man. TKD

   qaStaHvIS wa'maH puq poHmey, wo'rIv betleH ghaj qorDu'Daj
   Worf's bat'telh has been in his family for ten generations. S8

   qaStaHvIS wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH
    vav quvHa'ghach
   The dishonor of the father dishonors his sons and their sons for
    three generations. TKW

In this case, using {qaStaHvIs} may also be right, if a little redundant:

   qaStaHvIS poH nI' jIloStaH.
   I was waiting during a long time.

--
Voragh