tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 15 14:29:59 2002

Re: poH nI'

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> > > don't we have to say /poH nI' jIloStaH/?
>
> SuStel:
> >Actually, you have to say /qaStaHvIS poH nI' jIloStaH/.
>
> Not so fast.  I noticed that {loS} is glossed "wait for" not just "wait",
> which means it can take an object.

I've always known this meaning of /loS/.  However, I'm quite certain that
jIqel was thinking of a timestamp, and not the object of /loS/.

I also don't think that /loS/ means "wait for (a specified time period)."
I'm sure it means "wait for (something that is waited for).

paw Duj 'e' vIloS.
I waited for the ship to arrive.

jabbI'ID vIloStaH.
I'm waiting for the data transmission.

> The question is: Wait for what?  A
> person or a time period?  Unfortunately, our two examples from canon do
not
> show an object:

And thus the most certain way to do this is /qaStaHvIS poH nI' jIloStaH/.

> Although I admit that this is not quite the same thing, but the original
> poster may well have been right, though s/he should have used the object
> prefix:
>
>    poH nI' vIloStaH.
>    I was waiting for a long time.

As I said, I'm certain this is not what the original poster was thinking.
Perhaps jIqel would like to comment?

SuStel
Stardate 2622.3

Back to archive top level