tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 07 11:17:34 2002

Re: -lu' and -be', small aside on Paul Simon

nuQumqa' tulwI':

>DaH Voragh jang tulwI':
>>>what does /ghoS/ actually mean? "to follow a route"?
>>
>>{ghoS} is a general verb of motion with a variety of English glosses:
>>thrust, follow a course, proceed, come toward, approach, go to, etc.
>
>"move from a to b"?

Cf. TKD (p.28):

   There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as
   {ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix [-Daq] need not be used
   on nouns which are the objects of such verbs:
      Duj ghoStaH     "It is approaching the ship."
      yuQ wIghoStaH   "We are proceeding toward the planet."
   If the locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence
   is somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong:
      DujDaq ghoStaH  "It is approaching toward the ship."

A few examples of {ghoS} with destinations:

   HIghoS
   Come here! TKD

   naDev yIghoS
   Come here! TKD

   naDevvo' yIghoS
   Go away! TKD

   bIghHa'Daq yIghoS
   Go to jail! TKD

   tlh'a' HoD, nImbuS wej yIghoS.
   Captain Klaa, proceed to Nimbus III. (MO's ST5 notes)

   'entepray' yIghoS!
   Bear on Enterprise! ST5

   'ach, HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'!
   But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5

AFAIK there are no examples of {ghoS} going "from A to B", but there is one
for the other general verb of motion {jaH} "go":

   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
   Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK

   pa'Daq yIjaH
   Go to the room! TKD

   pa'vo' yIjaH
   Leave the room! ("Go from the room!") TKD

Also, keep in mind there is another verb {vIH} meaning "move, be in motion":

   vIH qagh!
   The serpent worms are moving! CK

   matay'DI' vIHtaHbogh bIQ rur mu'qaDmey.
   Between us, curses run like water. PK

N.B. {vIHtaHbogh bIQ} "running/flowing water" (literally, "moving water").

   vIHtaH gho
   The hoop is moving. KGT

which is an idiom meaning "hurry up! time is running out!"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level