tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 07 08:00:49 2002

RE: adverbials

>  > >How do you know a subject/object isn't steeling the noun away from the
>>  >header area?  :P
>>
>>  there is no suffix that can to that, as far as i remember. well, if
>>  /naDev/ is a noun that can work in the header area, and i add a
>>  /-Daq/, then /-Daq/ claims that /naDev/ is working in the body area
>>  in order to make him work in the header area again, which wouldn't
>>  make much sence.
>>  no, i don't think there is a way to turn a header-guy into a
>>  body-guy. turning a body-guy into a header-guy is much easier, even
>>  tho there is not much grammar in klingon to to that.
>>  (for example, you don't even have to add a suffix in order to turn
>>  /batlh/ (working in the body area) into /batlh/ (working in the
>>  header area).)
>
>My point is that you're not changing anything from one place to another.  In
>order to change FROM something, it first needs to BE that something.  Before
>you write a sentence the nouns are all sitting in a pile, simply waiting to
>be used; they are not part of any body or header.  If you need a time-stamp,
>you pull out the appropriate noun from the pile and put it in the time-stamp
>place.  If you need a locative, you pull out the appropriate noun from the
>pile and place it in the locative position.  If there is an object, you pull
>a noun out of the pile and put it in the object place.  Then you pull a verb
>out of the verb pile and put it in the verb place.  Then you pull out
>another noun and place it in the subject position.  Those first couple nouns
>that you pulled out were never assigned as a subject/object.  Placing a noun
>in the header area doesn't change a noun FROM a subject/object TO a
>time-stamp or locative or anything else in the header area.

you can see it this way, and it's even easier to understand than what
i wrote, i guess.

so tell me, what do /-Daq/, /-vaD/ and /-mo'/ do, speaking with terms
like "noun", "header" and so on?

>  > >  > >The noun /batlh/ can be a subject or object.
>>  >>
>>  >>  >The adverbial /batlh/ can only be used as an adverbial,
>>  showing up before
>>  >>  >the OVS body (in the header area).
>>  >>
>>  >>  so i cannot use the noun /batlh/ in the header area, wheras i can use
>>  >>  the noun /ram/ in the header area?
>>  >>  tell me, you don't like to see it this way, neither, do you?
>>  >
>>  >Actually the noun /batlh/ could be in the header if it had a
>>  -vaD or -mo'.
>>
>>  also the noun /ram/ can be in the header if it has a /-vaD/ or
>>  /-mo'/. but you said:
>>
>>  At 14:45 Uhr -0400 27.07.2002, DloraH wrote:
>>  >/ram/ "night" is a noun.  It can be used in the body of the sentence as a
>>  >subject or object, or it can show up before that (in the header
>>  area) used
>>  >as a time-stamp.
>>
>>  so /ram/ (noun) can occur in the header area, used as a time-stamp,
>>  without adding a suffix (that wouldn't exist anyway).
>
>Yes /ram/ can have a -vaD or -mo'.  A time-stamp isn't the only thing it can
>be used for.  I didn't say it was used ONLY as a time-stamp when in the
>header.

that wasn't my point. from my point of view, /rammo'/ is not a noun.
(also in english you wouln't say that "due to the night" is a noun.)
i meant the naked /ram/ that can occur in the header and in the OVS
body.

>  > is this wrong? if not, why this pattern isn't valid for /batlh/?
>
>Which pattern.  The noun /batlh/ can be in the header with the
>suffixes -vaD, and -mo', etc.  /batlh/ can't be used as a locative because
>it is not a location, you can't physically be AT "honor".  Likewise, how can
>/batlh/ be used as a time-stamp?

no. i still mean the naked /batlh/, /ram/ (and /naDev/). and the
pattern i meant is about being naked (without any suffix) in the
header or naked in the OVS body:

/batlh/ is a noun that can occur naked in the body.
/batlh/ is an adverbial that can occur naked in the header.

/naDev/ is a noun that can occur naked in the body.
/naDev/ is a noun that can occur naked in the header.

/ram/ is a noun that can occur naked in the body.
/ram/ is a noun that can occur naked in the header.

i see a pattern there. the only thing that doesn't match is that
/batlh/ in the header is called an adverbial. it would be easier to
say that /batlh/, /naDev/ and /ram/ are nouns that can occur "naked"
in the header.

>  > >  > >(** the following requires a fixed-width font)
>  > >>  >
>>  >>  >wa'Hu' Qe'Daq nom yaS qIp HoD
>>  >>  >"Yesterday in the restaurant the captain quickly hit the officer."
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >|- - - h e a d e r   a r e a - - -| |- - b o d y   a r e a - -|
>>  >>  >|                                 | |                         |
>>  >>  >time-stamp | locative | adverbial | | object | verb | subject |
>>  >>  >           |          |           | |        |      |         |
>>  >>  >  wa'Hu'      Qe'Daq       nom         yaS     qIp     HoD
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >  (noun)      (noun)   (adverbial)    (noun)  (verb)  (noun)
>>  >>
>>  >>  beautiful.
>>  >>
>>  >>  so, referring to what i wrote earlier, /-Daq/ turns a body part into
>>  >  > a header part. ok?
>>  >
>>  >In this example, Qe' was never part of this body.  It was taken from the
>>  >pile of words (the dictionary) and placed in the locative position; and
>>  >because it's being used as a locative in this sentence, it get's
>>  >a -Daq so we know what it's doing here.
>>
>>  you're right. i meant:
>>  /-Daq/ turns someone that would normally work in the body part into
>>  someone that has to work in the header part. i didn't mean this very
>>  body area and this very header area.
>>
>>  i don't think that we add /-Daq/ in order to underline that we are
>>  using a noun in the header area, but we use /-Daq/ in order to use a
>>  noun in the header area, so, in order to turn a body-guy into a
>>  header-guy.
>
>Just because he's a noun doesn't mean he's a body-guy.

but just because he's a _naked_ noun makes it probable that he's a body-guy.
but the rest above is more important than this point.

>  > >  > suffixes. for example, they select the noun from a body to have a new
>>  >>  bodypart: /Qong yaS/ <body> -> /Qongbogh yaS/ <bodypart>. or they can
>>  >>  turn a body into a header: /Qong yaS/ <body> -> /Qongchugh yaS/
>>  >  > <header>.
>>  >
>>  >I wouldn't say that last one goes in the header.  It has a verb and a
>>  >subject; the type 9 turns it into a clause that modifies the
>>  >main sentence.
>>
>>  and how do you call this? i need names! :)
>>
>>  subsentence?
>
>clause.

toH. vIlIj.

tulwI',