tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 09 05:05:54 2002

Re: -lu' and -be', small aside on Paul Simon

Voragh jang tulwI':

>nuQumqa' tulwI':
>
>>DaH Voragh jang tulwI':
>>>
>>>{ghoS} is a general verb of motion with a variety of English
>>>glosses: thrust, follow a course, proceed, come toward, approach,
>>>go to, etc.
>>
>>"move from a to b"?
>
>Cf. TKD (p.28):
>
>   There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as
>   {ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix [-Daq] need not be used
>   on nouns which are the objects of such verbs:
>      Duj ghoStaH     "It is approaching the ship."
>      yuQ wIghoStaH   "We are proceeding toward the planet."
>   If the locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence
>   is somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong:
>      DujDaq ghoStaH  "It is approaching toward the ship."

hm. but it's strange that i can "ghoS" a course. i don't approach a
course. this seems totally different to "go along" a course.

thank you for the examples!

tulwI',
sts.

Back to archive top level