tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 16:06:52 1999

"Fishy Things (was RE: Fresh Food in Space)

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:

> ..
>
> jatlh quljIb:
>
> >Or better yet <wIjbogh bIQDep Hol> science of fish that are
> >farmed? Would Klingons even bother with such specialized fields?
>
> jatlh ghunchu'wI':
>
> > Accounting for the {Hol/QeD} confusion, you've said "the science of
> > fish who farm."  For "fish that are farmed", you might be able to
> > say something like {bIQDep wIjlu'bogh}, but I don't know if the
> > verb {wIj} "farm" takes an object.
>
> Don't forget the noun for "farm": <Du'>. With it, you could come up with
> <bIQDep Du' QeD> or even better <bIQDep Du' cham>. Whether this phrase is
> useful or not is open to debate.

======

Okay, here are a few "fishy" things I came up with., based (mostly) an
{bIQ} "water" and {bIQDep} "fish":

{bIQDep'a'}      - whale
{bIQDep'a' Hol}  - whale song
{bIQDep QeD}     - ichthyology (figh science)
{bIQDepvaD cham} - A fish hunt, a fishing trip/voyage
{bIQDep Sep}     - to breed fish
*{bIQDep tIn}    - a long fish, eel
*{lungbIQDep}    - serpent fish?, eel?
*{bIQlung}       - water lizard?, water snake?

{bIQDep'a' chIS} - The White Whale, Moby Dick
{norgh'a' chIS}  - great white shark
*{norghlung}     - shark lizard (crocodile)?

{wambogh bIQDep'a'}    - the whale who hunts, killer whale
{bombogh bIQDep'a'}    - the whale who sings, humpback whale

{bIQ'a'(vo') lung'a'}  - Great Serpent of/from the Sea, a sea serpent

{DeSDu' law' ghajbogh bIQ'a'vo' Ha'DIbaH'a'}
 - "the Great Beast from the Sea with Many Arms", giant squid

{yoD qengtaHbogh bIQ'a'vo' Ha'DIbaH}
 - "the Beast from the Sea who Carries a Shield", seaturtle

*{bIQDep let}    - hard fish, armoured fish?, shellfish?

(How in ge"thor does one say "shellfish" in tlhIngan?)

{bIQDep'a'mey wambogh Duj} - a ship for hunting whale, a whaler

quljIb

Back to archive top level