tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 16:52:29 1999

RE: wej vIghro'meywIj

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Steven Boozer wrote:

> quljIb:
> > Doq nguv 'ej ngem rur, 'ach chIs qamDu'Daj HughDaj je.
>
> pagh:
> : <nguv> doesn't work here, and the sentence works without it. I have
> : no idea how s/he (or 'oH in Klingon) can be <Doq> while resembling
> : a forest. Did you mean something other than <ngem>?
>
> quljIb:
> > Well, she [Raggedy Anne-"Rags" for short] is a brown, taby Maine Coon,
> > of a variety sometimes called the Siberian Forest Cat (not officially
> > recognized by international breeders). The only way I could think of
> > to convey "brown taby" was to say "she is {Doq} and resembles (is
> > coloured like) the forest."
>
> pagh:
> : The only colors I can think of when I hear "forest" are the beautiful deep
> : green of a natural forest, and the darker green color decorators call
> : "forest green" and apply to carpet and the like. Neither of these is even
> : remotely <Doq>.
>
> DloraH:
> : Doq, ngem rur - Doq like a forest - brown (when viewed from inside
> : the forest; no light, no green)
>
> Or some types of Terran forests, when the {pormey} (leaves) turn all shades
> of {Doq} in the Fall.
>
> pagh:
> : n...Klingon happens to have a single
> : word - <Doq> - which covers a wide range of colors, from bright pink to dark
> : brown. Everything in that range is <Doq>. Although the color words in
> : Enlgish are more specific, there is considerable variety even here-think
> : of the difference between "ice blue" and "midnight blue". Do you have
> : trouble calling anything in that range just "blue"?
[...snip...]
> : I would probably describe your cat as <Doq 'ej Hurgh>. There is a need to
> : differentiate your cat from, say, Morris (who is <Doq 'ej wov>), but that's
> : about it.

[a lot of (unneeded) stuff on colours in tlhIngan snipped]
> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Look I ment to say "my cat, Rags, is brown and resembles (has pattern on
her fur like) the forest", IOW she's a brown tabby. To quote the proverb:
"If I did not want it to be heard, I would not have said it." Lot's of
animals have markings resembling their natural suroundings. As an example,
here's how I would describe a tiger to a Klingon:

{vIghro"a' Doq 'ej wov 'ej tIr rur} - a great cat that is light {Doq}
(orange) and resembles the grass.

Could anything be more clear?

quljIb
(who really, really doesn't like literal thinkers!)

Back to archive top level