tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 23 06:28:44 1999

Re: "Fishy Things (was RE: Fresh Food in Space)

Once again, we have a new person applying a lot of focus on the
task of making up new nouns which others are supposed to agree
on.

Just stop it, okay? This is not the way to learn the language.
It is probably one of the worst ways to learn the language.

The most important thing in Klingon is the verb. Stop trying to
stretch the specificity of nouns. You are missing one of the
most important aspects of the language.

We care less about what a fish IS than we care about what a fish
DOES or what you DO with a fish. Is the fish STRONG? Is it
DELICIOUS? How do you catch it? Do you have any stories about
the fish? All this is MUCH more interesting than listing a bunch
of different kinds of fish and the words you want us to all
agree on to differentiate them.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:10:56 -0800 (PST) david joslyn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:
>
> > ..
> >
> > jatlh quljIb:
> >
> > >Or better yet <wIjbogh bIQDep Hol> science of fish that are
> > >farmed? Would Klingons even bother with such specialized fields?
> >
> > jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> >
> > > Accounting for the {Hol/QeD} confusion, you've said "the science of
> > > fish who farm."  For "fish that are farmed", you might be able to
> > > say something like {bIQDep wIjlu'bogh}, but I don't know if the
> > > verb {wIj} "farm" takes an object.
> >
> > Don't forget the noun for "farm": <Du'>. With it, you could come up with
> > <bIQDep Du' QeD> or even better <bIQDep Du' cham>. Whether this phrase is
> > useful or not is open to debate.
> >
> ======
>
> Okay, here are a few "fishy" things I came up with., based (mostly) an
> {bIQ} "water" and {bIQDep} "fish":
>
> {bIQDep'a'}      - whale
> {bIQDep'a' Hol}  - whale song
> {bIQDep QeD}     - ichthyology (figh science)
> {bIQDepvaD cham} - A fish hunt, a fishing trip/voyage
> {bIQDep Sep}     - to breed fish
> *{bIQDep tIn}    - a long fish, eel
> *{lungbIQDep}    - serpent fish?, eel?
> *{bIQlung}       - water lizard?, water snake?
>
> {bIQDep'a' chIS} - The White Whale, Moby Dick
> {norgh'a' chIS}  - great white shark
> *{norghlung}     - shark lizard (crocodile)?
>
> {wambogh bIQDep'a'}    - the whale who hunts, killer whale
> {bombogh bIQDep'a'}    - the whale who sings, humpback whale
>
> {bIQ'a'(vo') lung'a'}  - Great Serpent of/from the Sea, a sea serpent
>
> {DeSDu' law' ghajbogh bIQ'a'vo' Ha'DIbaH'a'}
>  - "the Great Beast from the Sea with Many Arms", giant squid
>
> {yoD qengtaHbogh bIQ'a'vo' Ha'DIbaH}
>  - "the Beast from the Sea who Carries a Shield", seaturtle
>
> *{bIQDep let}    - hard fish, armoured fish?, shellfish?
>
> (How in ge"thor does one say "shellfish" in tlhIngan?)
>
> {bIQDep'a'mey wambogh Duj} - a ship for hunting whale, a whaler
>

> quljIb

Back to archive top level