tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 23 21:09:00 1999

Re: "Fishy Things (was RE: Fresh Food in Space)

ja' quljIb:
>Okay, here are a few "fishy" things I came up with...

Please don't do this.  Lists of words are very nearly useless in isolation.
If you have to explain what you mean by a term, it's obviously not a clear
way to express the idea you have in mind.  Instead of making a collection
of noun translations with no context, wait until you actually find yourself
needing to say something about a whale or squid.  More often than not, the
context surrounding the usage will suggest an appropriate way to say it.

I'll restrict my comments to one of your words only:

>{bIQDep'a'}      - whale

Ouch.  The {-'a'} suffix doesn't just mean "big".  It's an augmentive.
Whatever it is that makes something a {bIQDep}, a {bIQDep'a'} has more
of it.  If a "water being" is something which swims, maybe {bIQDep'a'}
does work for "whale", but I'm not sure.

>*{bIQDep let}    - hard fish, armoured fish?, shellfish?

The hard shell of an animal is {nagh DIr}, literally "rock skin".

>(How in ge"thor does one say "shellfish" in tlhIngan?)

Several KLI members would perhaps say {bIQDep Hat}. :-)

>{bIQDep'a'mey wambogh Duj} - a ship for hunting whale, a whaler

Consider using a purpose clause instead of a relative clause here:
{bIQDep'a' wammeH Duj} fits the idea better than {...wambogh...}.
(TKD 3.2.3 mentions that {Duj} is a word meaning "space vessel", but
since we lack a wide variety of terms for vehicles I guess it'll do.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level