tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 18:36:32 1999

Re: Translating the word "Klingon" into other languages?

>Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:48:04 +0000
>From: Matt Johnson <[email protected]>
>
>In article <[email protected]>, Mark E. Shoulson
><[email protected]> writes
>>Irish Gaelic: Thliongnais (I think)
>
>Probably Tliongáinis (Tlionga/inis) as the root noun, without any
>lenition, as far as referring to the Klingon Language. If you're
>referring to culture, then you'd be looking towards something like
>'cultúr Tliongánach'.

Bleah.  I know enough of Gaelic to have recognized the lenition, but
didn't.  Wasn't thinking.

>A Gaeilge-speaker, unaccustomed to the tlh- letter in Klingon, would
>probably render the language as (phonetically) "tuh-lyun-gaw-nuhsh",
>with a neutral vowel between the 't' and 'l', much as Gaeilge disallows
>'rt' or 'rm' (amongst many others) as consecutive consonant
>combinations. ("ort" is spoken as 'oruht'.)

...And an English-speaker would probably do similar things with "Tlingon".

~mark

Back to archive top level