tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 05 12:50:13 1997

Re: Basic Vocabulary

At 21:24 97-12-03 -0800, Qermaq wrote:

}Which leads me to my question. I am not asking for a word list to be
}posted - that is not permitted. But it is certainly in line with our mission
}for each experienced speaker to suggest their top 25, say, picks for 'most
}useful basic vocabulary'. Learners would then have a starting point to learn
}a basic set of words, and have a relatively balanced vocabulary to start.

It's kind of fun if everyone has a diffent basic vocabulary, because then
you get to learn from others.

}I really am not suggesting we illegally post a vocab list. Rather, I am
}looking for a small set of basic words from which we all, beginners on up,
}can develop conversational fluency. Again, I think this is well within our
}stated mission of education, and not misconstruable as wanton violation of
}any copyright.
}
}I have a goal to be able to speak fluently enough to be able to attend the
}next qep'a' and participate in conversations with relative ease. (If I can
}get the time off to go...)

A very attainable goal.

}I think part of the means to this end is an
}understanding of the basic vocabulary that fluent speakers use most often
}(of course, in addition to regular use of the language and careful
}consideration of how to think in the language). This would aid understanding
}what others say as well as provide a base of vocabulary to use in
}conversation - a channel in a sea of words, so to speak.
}
}So, what do you say? ;o)

I say learn all prefixes and suffixes and their meanings so that you
recognize them instantly.  Then you should know ...

VERBS: ghaj, ghoj, yaj, legh, neH, jatlh, Qong, ghung, laD, QaH, Suv, jaH,
Sov, tu'

NOUNS: Hol, Soj, batlh, pa', tlhIngan, nuv, ghot, (you only need to know one
of ghot and nuv, but you have to recognize the other), Ha'DIbaH, paq, Doch,
puchpa', Qe'

CHUVMEY: all pronouns, rut, DaH, pIj, not, naDev, pa', nuqDaq, 'Iv, qatlh,
nuq, ghorgh, maj, HIja', HISlaH, ghobe'

Using just those, you could participate in this conversation at the qep'a'.