tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 10 21:25:47 1997

Re: Basic Vocabulary

ja' Qermaq:
>...I am not asking for a word list to be
>posted - that is not permitted. But it is certainly in line with our mission
>for each experienced speaker to suggest their top 25, say, picks for 'most
>useful basic vocabulary'. Learners would then have a starting point to learn
>a basic set of words, and have a relatively balanced vocabulary to start.

The 'most useful' vocabulary depends highly on the situation.  What I'm
likely to be discussing on the list changes drastically from day to day,
and what I think would be some *really* useful vocabulary for grammatical
discussions is not even there.

>I really am not suggesting we illegally post a vocab list. Rather, I am
>looking for a small set of basic words from which we all, beginners on up,
>can develop conversational fluency.

Conversational fluency in what context?  The first time I had a "real"
conversation in Klingon, I was trying to explain the purpose of a set of
circuit boards that went into a computerized Time Domain Reflectometry
system. :-)  My second real attempt at communicating vocally in Klingon
kept running into the lack of names for foods.

I find that I was able to start considering myself fluent because I had
completely internalized the grammar, not just because I had learned enough
words.  Yes, vocabulary is important, but I think building vocabulary just
comes naturally with use.  It's the grammar that needs to be practiced in
order to become "fluent" -- at least that's the way it works for me.

>I have a goal to be able to speak fluently enough to be able to attend the
>next qep'a' and participate in conversations with relative ease. (If I can
>get the time off to go...)

Ah, a context!  I think I can identify useful vocabulary for a convention.
In fact, I think I did this a couple of years ago.  I'll look up the list
of words that were distributed at qep'a' wejDIch, and if they seem right
I'll post them here.

In the meantime, the best way to become "conversationally fluent" is to
practice in realtime conversation.  We're going to have to set up some
times to meet on the MUSH; that's what built my ability to chat without
having to look up everything.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level