tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 08:19:32 1994

please pay some respect to lingual minorities

After subscribing THLINGAN-HOL, I received an interesting
file. I'd like to comment on a few lines in it that annoyed
me.

> There are basically two kinds of postings that will   <
> appear on this list:                                  <
>                                                       <
> - Messages about anything, written in Klingon         <
> - Messages about Klingon, written in English          <

This gives me an impression that only these languages are
allowed. I would find that attitude rather awkward since I
know that people who subscribe and contribute articles to
thlingan-hol mailings also contribute to such lists as
esperanto, welsh-l and conlang and I know several subscribers
of thlingan-hol can read Finnish. It would be a FAIR REQUEST
to include an English translation or abstract from those
people, who would feel more confident expressing themselves in
some other language than English. Non-native English speakers
like myself can't necessary follow all the hair-splitting
argumentation on Klingon grammar.

Having said all this I realize that it wasn't meant that way,
yet I feel offended by suggestion that my language isn't as
good means of communication as English. Or if it's not that
then learning Klingon is a privilege of English speakers only,
and all the others should keep away. Even though this is a
serious topic, my little remark is not meant to be taken too
seriously, yet I would like to see those lines changed into
something more respectful toward speakers of other languages.

Even though I can't understand a word of Klingon yet, it seems
to me that Klingon is agglutinative language like Finnish. (Is
it?) the idea alone gives me a thrill...

By the way, is there any lingual minorities within the Klingon
Empire, I just wonder, eh...?

Sami,

[email protected]

Back to archive top level