tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 21 01:46:39 1994

Re: KLBC: juHqo' (Hoghvam)

> Also, {bovbIr] for "winter" and {bovtuj} for "summer" are not canonical,
> but you get the idea. At least they're legitimate compounds, I think. In my
> line of thinking, a compound is any two words used so often right next to
> one another that they just fuse into one. This would go for possessives or
> Noun+Adjectival constructions. Some exceptions are {puqbe'} for "daughter",
> {HoSghaj} for "be powerful" and {mongDech} for "collar".
> Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

     I apologise in advance for becoming part of the likely avalanche of
clearly says, "Compound nouns consist of two or three NOUNS in a row...".
While I might agree that Guido's suggestion that adjectival verbs could be
used in compound nouns is a good idea, and indeed Okrand uses it {HoSghaj},
Okrand did not give US license to use it to combine any words that are not
nouns.

     WE are stuck with license to construct compound nouns out of root nouns
alone and not noun-verb pairs.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level