tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 19 07:03:08 1994

Re: KLBC: Spring Break

charghwI'vo':

>On Mar 15,  3:17pm, "trI'Qal" wrote:
>> This was a nice attempt, but it has a few ewrrors in it.  First is the use
>> of the suffix -Qo' on a non-imperative verb.  You can't do that.
>> --HoD trI'Qal
>
>     I've wondered about this before. Is this true? I know that you can't use
>{-be'} WITH an imperative, but I though perhaps you COULD use {-Qo'} with
>non-imperative verbs to mean "don't" or "won't". It is true that this can
>usually be expressed as {-qangbe'}, so it would not be a great loss. Still,
>I've never read anywhere that you can't use {-Qo'} with non-imperative verbs.
>
>     Hmm. Looking at the language in TKD: "This negative suffix is used in
>imperatives and to denote refusal." Sounds to me like the "refusal" meaning
>would be used in cases not involving imperatives.
>
>     Could I hear a larger consensus on this?

Nope.  I obviously boo-booed (This was "strike #1"... I wonder if it happens
three times, if I am "out"? {{:( ).  I was thinking that it was ONLY used on
Imperatives, for some obscure reason.  After re-reading the section on rovers,
when ~mark pointed it out, I realized I oopsed.

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level