tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 11:27:36 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] squirrel

SuStel ([email protected])

On 11/15/2014 1:56 PM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:
qorvIt - rodent like animal listed as a farm pest, according to my
notes canon from a novel I think. Could have chosen a Qa', if a
Qa'Hom is too small, or some other small animal. No idea if a
boqrat is anything like a rat but it might work.

It's from "Klingon Empire: A Burning House" by Keith R.A. DeCandido;
a farmyard pest found on the conquered world of Pheben III. I don't
think it's established that it's rodent-like, though, or even
mammalian; just that it's a pest. It's also mentioned in "The Klingon
Art of War", where it's made clear that korvits were also found on
Qo'noS, even before the days of Kahless. So, presumably, the species
is native to Qo'noS but a handful of specimens found their way to
Pheben III as stowaways or something, and then proceeded to breed
like Australian rabbits. Either that, or there's a species indigenous
to Pheben III that's so similar to korvits that they decided to just
call them Pheben III. Maybe most Klingons call them "Phebenian
korvits" (*vIyben* *qorvItmey*?) or something, but the farmers who've
settled there leave out the first word for the sake of convenience.

I'm pretty sure there's a Deep Space Nine episode where a Klingon calls Odo a "kurrit," and Odo repeats the word patronizingly. I don't know whether the novels or the episode came first, or exactly which episode it is.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/