tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 15 07:15:42 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] squirrel

DloraH ([email protected]) [Hol po'wI']

> > I recently ran across a claim that the word for "squirrel" is
> > *{qon'Het'wa}, which appears to originate from here:
> > http://www.angelfire.com/fl/scalisti/languages.html
> >
> > Does anyone know where this obviously non-canon word came from? Did
> > someone talk about "Klingon squirrels" in an episode of Star Trek
> > using a word that sounds like that?
> No idea where qon'Het'wa came from and the apostrophes don't
> look right to me.

The apostrophes are more than "don't look right."  In Klingon they are consonants.  So this word is
cvcccvcccv ... nope, can't happen, at least from the observations we have so far of the Klingon
language.
cv or cvc ... with a few exceptions.  Ok, I suppose if the first two syllables both happened to be
one of those few exceptions, that c and v pattern could be made, but... -n' and -t' don't fit those
exceptions that we are aware of.

> Though it would have been a good opportunity for someone to
> submit something
> like:
> Sa'HutDaq pob'a' ghajbogh Sor qorvIt

nuq 'oH qorvIt'e'?  mu'vetlh vIghovbe'.
nuq 'oS [pob'a'] mu''e'?  [law'] rurba'be' [-'a'].  tlhuQ rurba'be' [pob'a'].

[squirrel] 'oH QInvam per'e', vaj squirrel 'oSlaw' mu'tlheghvetlh, 'ach jIHvaD mu'tlheghvetlh
jatlhchugh vay', squirrel vIqelbe'.

-- DloraH