tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 03 13:32:58 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Objects with -moH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> It sounds to me like:
>>  {'o meQ qul! 'o meQ chal! reH SuvtaH yoHbogh 'ej ghoHbogh ghotpu'!}
>>
>> Possibly the first {-bogh} verb is {jaq}, but I think it's {yoH}. The
>> second {-bogh} verb might be {HoH}, depending on how the actor thinks
>> {j} and {y} are pronounced in Klingon.

FeliX:
> I suspect the original line may have been "the brave and the bold", and
> it became <yoHbogh 'ej jaqbogh ghotpu'>.

That certainly makes for a better {bI'reS} than "the brave and argumentative"! <g>

Okrand has used the double {-bogh} before:

  romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
  Romulan hunter-killer probe  (KCD)

  yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI' Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw
  The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave and true. (Anthem)

  Suto'vo'qor botlhDaq
  pe'vIl joqchu'taH
  quvbogh 'ej valbogh tIqDu' tIQ
  [translation not available]  (PB)

Come to think of it, we've also seen {SuvtaH} in the Anthem:

  batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
  Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where we battle forever.

  mamevQo'. maSuvtaH. ma'ov.
  Battling on through the Eternal fight.

Anyone know if Okrand worked on KCD and the Anthem around the same time?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons