tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 03 13:20:42 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] redditor wants to know why Klingon speakers speak Klingon

De'vID ([email protected])

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Sam Rolens <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's a girl on this thread claiming to be fluent in Klingon, despite
> disliking the language and Star Trek, because her father taught it to her
> when she was young, and that she doesn't know any other Klingon speakers
> besides her father. Is there any possibility this is true? I've reached out
> to her, but I'm skeptical of her ability to get fluent under those
> circumstances.

I think "fluent" is a stretch, but it's not impossible that they have
a set of memorised phrases that they use as a secret language. Between
two people who have memorised some of the phrases from one or more of
TKD, KGT, TKW, CK, and PK, and who've learned the numbers, you can
have a conversation between yourselves which isn't fully Klingon, but
which would be incomprehensible to others.

Also, there are at least two Klingon speakers who have taught some
Klingon to their children.

--
De'vID