tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 29 06:25:51 2010

RE: New words

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix Malmenbeck:
> I found an old e-mail by Voragh with some expressions I didn't
> recognize, and many of which are neither on Hol 'ampaS or in tlhIngan
> Hol mu'ghom mach:
>
> /tlhIngan-Hol/1998/December/msg00109.html
>
> As he points out, these are from Star Trek Communicator #104 (
> http://mughom.wikia.com/wiki/STC ), called the "SPECIAL KLINGON ISSUE"
> or {tlhIngan jabbI'ID le'}.
> The translations look good, so it may very well be that Marc Okrand was
> involved, but according to Voragh it's uncertain.  The mu'ghom Wikia
> claims that Okrand did the translations, however.

Since I don't have a copy of this issue, it was uncertain to me though highly probable:  (1) The translations of the magazine's section headings and column titles feel like Okrand's playful work, and (2) STAR TREK COMMUNICATOR was the high-quality magazine of the official, Paramount-sponsored Star Trek fan club.  If the Wikia says so, I think it's probable that somebody verified Okrand's involvement or at least looked at the magazine.

> The expressions - as compiled by Voragh - follow below:
>
>               STAR TREK COMMUNICATOR (#104, Aug-Sep 1995)
>
> tlhIngan jabbI'ID le'   Special Klingon issue
>
> malja' permey           trademarks
> Hov leng ngoDHommey     Trekbits
> QumwI'                  Communicator
> Hov leng De' chu'       Star Trek Update
> Qu' vu'wI' yaH          Mission Ops
> De' naw'wI'             Data Access
> tojbogh pa' tuHmey      Holodeck Adventures
> Hov leng QeD            Treknology
> DIvI' tamey ngo'        Federation Archives
>
> ghotpu' tamey           Personnel Files
>     mayqel Do'rIn           Michael Dorn
>     raqSan bIQ-DawSon       Roxann Biggs-Dawson
>     rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy      Robert O'Reilly
>     mayqel 'anSa'ra         Michael Ansara
>     jan kalI'qoS            John Colicos
>     barbara' ma'rIch        Barbara March
>     ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS      Gwynyth Walsh

> Written by Steven "Voragh" Boozer on Tuesday the 8th of December, 1998
> 20:17:57 -0600 (CST)
>
> malja' permey is familiar from the SkyBox cards.  Having words for
> "Mission Ops", "Data Access", "Holodeck", "Archives" and "Personnel
> Files" is something I find quite interesting.
>
> Also interesting is that I've always though of Hov leng as a neologism,
> but if these translations were done by Okrand it would be canon.

Okrand has used {Hov leng} elsewhere:

  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant.
  (ST: The Experience communiqué)

And there's this:

  yay, yay! Hov lengvaD! baQa'!
  Wow, wow! For Star Trek! Omigosh!
  (actress Spice Williams reacting to the news she had gotten the
   part of Vixis [ST5 DVD, extra "making of" feature])

It's possible Okrand helped Williams with the phrase on the set of ST5 (he did coach her and the actor who played Klaa for the movie):

> ...and it appears a 'k' has snuck its way into John Colicos' "Klingon
> name".  Anybody know if this is from the magazine or a transcription
> error?

The latter.  It's {qalI'qoS} in my notes.  The "K" may have snuck in the post because I was thinking of Kor, the character Colicos played on TOS and DS9.

> Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering a copy of this issue off eBay or
> Amazon, simply because I find it so darn ghoQ ;)

If you do, let me know if Okrand is listed in the production credits on the t.p. verso.  Then I can finally remove "uncertain" from my notes.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level