tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 29 04:23:31 2010

RE: New words

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

I found an old e-mail by Voragh with some expressions I didn't recognize, and many of which are neither on Hol 'ampaS or in tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom mach:

/tlhIngan-Hol/1998/December/msg00109.html

As he points out, these are from Star Trek Communicator #104 ( http://mughom.wikia.com/wiki/STC ), called the "SPECIAL KLINGON ISSUE" or tlhIngan jabbI'ID le'.
The translations look good, so it may very well be that Marc Okrand was involved, but according to Voragh it's uncertain.  The mu'ghom Wikia claims that Okrand did the translations, however.

The expressions - as compiled by Voragh - follow below:

              STAR TREK COMMUNICATOR (#104, Aug-Sep 1995)

tlhIngan jabbI'ID le'   Special Klingon issue

malja' permey           trademarks
Hov leng ngoDHommey     Trekbits
QumwI'                  Communicator
Hov leng De' chu'       Star Trek Update
Qu' vu'wI' yaH          Mission Ops
De' naw'wI'             Data Access
tojbogh pa' tuHmey      Holodeck Adventures
Hov leng QeD            Treknology
DIvI' tamey ngo'        Federation Archives
ghotpu' tamey           Personnel Files

    mayqel Do'rIn           Michael Dorn
    raqSan bIQ-DawSon       Roxann Biggs-Dawson
    rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy      Robert O'Reilly
    mayqel 'anSa'ra         Michael Ansara
    jan kalI'qoS            John Colicos
    barbara' ma'rIch        Barbara March
    ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS      Gwynyth Walsh

Written by Steven "Voragh" Boozer on Tuesday the 8th of December, 1998 20:17:57 -0600 (CST)

malja' permey is familiar from the SkyBox cards.  Having words for "Mission Ops", "Data Access", "Holodeck", "Archives" and "Personnel Files" is something I find quite interesting.
Also interesting is that I've always though of Hov leng as a neologism, but if these translations were done by Okrand it would be canon.
...and it appears a 'k' has snuck its way into John Colicos' "Klingon name".  Anybody know if this is from the magazine or a transcription error?

Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering a copy of this issue off eBay or Amazon, simply because I find it so darn ghoQ ;)

Back to archive top level