tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 28 13:00:23 2010

RE: klin zha (was Re: New words)

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

ghItlhta' ghunchu'wI':
> <Holmey DaSov'a'? chay' jatlh romuluSngan "Klin zha"?>
> <tlhIngan Hol mu' bIHbe' "Klin zha"-'e'.> jang 'elIS Saghqu'.
> <tlhIngan Hol mu' bIH 'e' maq 'Iv?> jatlh joH Doq.

Took me a couple of googles to get this reference ;)

ghItlhta' ghunchu'wI':
> I'm still perfectly happy without a "true official Okrandian tlhIngan
> Hol" spelling for a Fordian Klingonaase term, though.

If your point is that tlhIngan Hol spellings/pronunciations for Klingonaase words aren't necessary, then you and I are in complete agreement.  However, if klin zha remains a popular game even among Klingons who do not speak Klingonaase, I imagine that a tlhIngan Hol:ified version of the word would be quite likely to evolve, as it can be a pain to switch phonotax mid-sentence or to switch alphabet mid-e-mail.
Of course, even if there is, some Klingons may go on using the old spelling/pronunciation (or a gutted version thereof), much the way that many of us like to describe culturally significant objects using there original Latin, Greek, French or Whateverish names even in cases where there are commonly used English (or Whateverone'snativelanguageisese) words for those things in existence.

Back to archive top level