tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 28 10:47:30 2010

klin zha (was Re: New words)

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...and it would give us a canonical tlhIngan Hol for klin zha (tlhInja), which I'm sure many of us would be glad to have.]

I don't think "canonical tlhIngan Hol for klin zha" is a well-formed
concept. Klin zha is a *Klingonaase* term. Klin refers to something
like the essense or spirit of what it means to be a Klingon/sentient
non-servitor being, the "klin principle". Zha is clearly "game".
though in The Final Reflection it is used metaphorically about as
often as it is literally.

Since there is no "zh" sound in Okrandian Klingon -- nor a true "kl"
sound, for that matter -- I consider transliteration of the name a
matter of personal preference. HoD Qanqor insists on pronouncing it
{tlhInSa}. I choose to say {tlhInja}, though now that I consider it
carefully, I seem to actually use a slightly retroflex variant of {j}
and should probably adopt the conceit of spelling it {tlhInJa}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level