tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 27 12:07:23 2010

RE: monastery

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
> about the question, what kind of "monastery" was intended, maybe the
> first question that was asked to Maltz might help:
>
> Question:
> Next - what I believe might really be relevant to Klingons - is the
> word for "monastery". We all know that Klingons have this, there's
> the one on the planet Boreth were they wait for Kahless and praise
> him like a god. Can Maltz tell anything else about this, or religion?
>
> Answer:
> The word for monastery is {ghIn}.  This is a pretty general term for a
> religious community (and the term "religious" could be interpreted in
> various ways as well), so it can be modified.  A {ghIn'a'} would be a
> pretty important monastery, for example.

I'm reminded of the line in the KLI's "The Klingon Hamlet":

"In TKH, the line 'Get thee to a nunnery' was translated as {ngaghQo'wI' nawlogh yImuv}.  Guido's endnotes translate it as 'squadron of the celibate,' and further expound: 'the closest Klingon equivalent of a monastic order, these were bands of warriors - of either gender - who dedicated their lives to fighting, to the point of refusing to mate'." [Holtej]

By coincidence, one of the local stations in Chicago re-ran TNG "Rightful Heir" Thursday night.  IIRC the monastery on Boreth was co-ed:  I saw one or two female extras wearing the same brown robes as the males in the group scenes.

And according to the matte painting they showed briefly, the monastery was a complex of 6-8 buildings perched atop a snow-covered mountain on Boreth.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level