tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 22 12:06:19 2010

RE: monastery

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> I also found this exchange on the old startrek.klingon newsgroup:

>   From: Marc Okrand <...>
>   Newsgroups: startrek.klingon
>   Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998
>   Subject: Re: "cleric" -- Dr. Okrand?
>
> Qov wrote...
>>> Is there a word for cleric? How about High Cleric?
>>
>> A cleric is a person ordained for religious duties. In the absence
>> of a specific word for cleric (I don't know >of any published word)
>> I might use:
>>     {lalDan ghojmoHwI'}  - teacher of religion
>>     {lalDan tay DevwI'}  - leader of a religion ceremony
>>     {lalDan Sov choqwI'} - preserver of religious knowledge
>>     {qeylIS SuvwI'}      - warrior of Kahless
>>...depending on what I meant.
>
> I was going to respond to Khaywolf's original question by asking a
> question of my own in order to pin down exactly how Khaywolf wants to
> use the term translated as "cleric." Can the term be applied as broadly
> as the English word "cleric," or does it refer to something more specific
> or specialized?
>
> But before I got to it, Qov managed (as usual!) to come up with some
> really good suggestions.
>
> There may be a word for "cleric" (in some sense) we don't know yet. I'll
> wait to hear back from anyone who wants to provide clarification about
> what, exactly, a Klingon cleric is/does, and then I'll check to see if
> there's a good word for that.
>
>   From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
>   Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998
>   Subject: Re: "cleric" -- Dr. Okrand?
>
> There were certainly Klingon clerics on Boreth, at the monastery that
> was established by the followers of Kahless.  Whatever else they did,
> they created a clone of Kahless. :-)  It seems that their duty was to
> await Kahless' return, to remember and tell stories about him in the
> meantime, and to guide or advise others in spiritual matters. I have
> usually thought of the particular clerics portrayed in the TNG episode
> "Rightful Heir" as religious leaders/guides, which is an idea I think
> the Klingon phrase {lalDan DevwI'} captures well.

Although fairly obvious, this suggests *{ghIn DevwI'} for an abbot/abbess or High Cleric (of a monastery) based on:

  yejquv DevwI'  Leader of the High Council (S25)

  QaS DevwI'     troop commander [from Keith R.A. DeCandido's
                 novels; vetted by Okrand]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons