tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 22 08:51:45 2010

RE: monastery

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Andre:
>>>I'm not a native speaker of English, but isn't it possible to say,
>>>like, "The whole monastery was shocked and frightened about the
>>>new monk's deed." (or something). I understand the Klingon word as
>>>referring to the building ("The monastery was found in 1673.") and
>>>to the people in it, as my example sentence above.

Voragh:
>>You're quite right, but there's not special about "monastery".
>>You can do it with any building or place when referring to the
>>people who live/work there:
>>
>> "The whole prison was shocked by the new guard's attitude."
>> "The whole library was shocked by the new clerk's incompetence."
>> "The whole hospital was shocked by the new doctor's carelessness."
>> "The whole university was shocked by the new professor's opinions."
>> "The whole city was shocked by the new gang's boldness.
>>  Etc.

ter'eS:
> This is called "synecdoche" in classical rhetoric, "where one part of
> an object is used to represent the whole". For example, "Washington is
> embroiled in chaos", where "Washington" stands for "the legislators in
> the legislature located in Washington". But this is not generally
> understood to extend the meaning of the "part" in the other direction.
> You couldn't see a group of legislators in the airport and say "There
> goes a  washington".

Aha, synecdoche!  I couldn't remember the rhetorical term.

> The community that occupies a monastery is composed of monks. The
> community of monks occupies a monastery. The community of monks is not
> itself a monastery, in any accepted definition.
>
> Frankly, I think Okrand doesn't always think his answers through as
> thoroughly as we analyze them.  When his answers are ambiguous, I think
> it's best to take the simplest interpretation, which in this case is to
> restrict {ghIn} to the most basic meaning of "monastery": a building
> for the use of a religious community (allowing for the possibility that
> "religious" doesn't mean to the Klingons exactly what it means to us).

My rule of thumb for interpreting Maltz's utterances is:  Whenever there's ambiguity I like to check the term's use in Okrand's other writings or in the Star Trek episodes/movies.  Although Okrand isn't an expert on Trek trivia like some of us, he does use "monastery" (and "Boreth" and "cleric") only once in KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER in the caption to the illustration on p.77:

    Because of the feelings stirred by a {van bom}, the clerics
    of the monastery on Boreth created the clone of Kahless.

I also found this exchange on the old startrek.klingon newsgroup: