tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 20 15:04:46 2006

Re: KLBC: A Failure to Communicate

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5:
>>I'm trying to translate "What we have here is a failure to communicate"
>>into Klingon.  I realize
>>that there are many ways to do this, ranging from free and pithy (and
>>probably more authentically
>>Klingon), to literal and wordy.  For example,
>>
>>      maQumlaHbe' 'e' vItu'
>>
>>(if grammatical) really seems to capture the core of the
>>meaning.  (Should I be using {-chuq} to
>>indicate that I'm referring to communication with each other, or is this
>>unnecessary and/or wrong?)

ter'eS:
>I do think you should use {-chuq}: {maQumchuqlaHbe'}. I don't have a good
>feeling about using {vItu'} to
>mean "it appears to me". I always think of {tu'} as referring to an actual
>act of finding or discovering.
>Maybe {vInoH} "I judge" would work.

>>How about {vIHar} "I believe" or {vIvoq} "I trust/I have faith in"?
>>
>>     {qaStaH QumHa'ghach 'e' vIHar.}
>>     "I believe a miscommunication is happening."
>>
>>(2) are there better ways to express this?

It would be less English and more "authentically Klingon" - not to mention
pithier - to just use the qualification suffixes:

   maQumHa'bej
   we are definitely miscommunicating

{-bej} "certainly, undoubtedly, definitely" if there's no doubt about it in
your mind: "What we have here is..."  "Aha, so *that's* what's happening!"

   maQumHa'law'
   we seem to be miscommunicating

{-law'} "it seems (to be), apparently, seemingly, I think that, I suspect
that" if you're not entirely sure this is what's happening: "I think we're
on different pages here."  "Are we talking about the same thing?"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level