tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 26 17:57:19 2006

Re: KLBC: A Failure to Communicate

On Oct 20, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Terrence Donnelly wrote:

> --- Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I seem to be particularly contrarian today.
>>
>> ja' ter'eS:
>>> I do think you should use {-chuq}:
>> {maQumchuqlaHbe'}.
>>
>> I don't.  {Qum} is "communicate", not "communicate
>> with".
>
> Right. {maQumchuq} 'we communicate reciprocally/
> together"

No, not right.  The verb suffix {-chuq} doesn't mean "together" in
concerted action; that would be the adverbial {nItebHa'} or something
like the dependent clause {matay'taHvIS}.

{*maQumchuq} seems as ungrammatical to me as the direct English
equivalent "We communicate each other".  It only works if {Qum} can
normally have an object.  I have never seen a hint that it does, and
its gloss of "communicate" suggests that it does not.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level