tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 20 13:52:29 2006

Re: KLBC: A Failure to Communicate

McArdle ([email protected])

Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]> wrote:
--- McArdle wrote:

>> QumHa'ghach naQ 'oH ghu''e' naDev wItu'taHbogh
>>

>I don't understand why {naQ} is there. Same comment
>about the metaphorical use of {tu'}.

  Nuance.  I was thinking of {-Ha'} in the sense of English "mis-", as in the example in TKD about "misspeaking/saying the wrong thing".  It seemed to me that "failure to communicate" was a more severe condition than "miscommunication" and deserved some emphasis.  (It may be that I have been underestimated the force of {-Ha'}, which I recognize can also mean "opposite".)  In fact, at one point while I was working up my translation, I tried {-chu'} just as ghunchu'wI' suggested, but in the end the idea of "miscommunicating perfectly/clearly" just didn't work for me.  Two things I never considered were (1) using a noun suffix for this emphasis, since after all {-ghach} has turned the word into a noun; or (2) putting  a verb suffix on {'oH}.  I like these both (but not both at the same time, of course.)

  >> Would {wIghajbogh} have been acceptable instead of
>> {wItu'taHbogh}? How about {Doch} for {ghu'}?
>> Another thing: it seems wrong to me to use {-taH}
>> with {ghaj}, even though I have no trouble using it
>> with {tu'}. Is there any real basis for this in
>> tlhIngan Hol, or is this just an English-speaker's
>> prejudice?
>>

>I don't have any general prejudice against {ghajtaH}.
>I wouldn't use {ghaj} for "having a situation",
>though.
>I think you can only have things, not events.
>
>By the same token, I wouldn't use {Doch}, which I
>think of as a concrete thing. {wanI'} might apply,
>though.

  I didn't really intend to use {ghaj} or {Doch}; just asking.

  Hoch Satlho' 'ej Savan

  McA