tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 27 07:48:33 2006

Re: quadrotriticale {loSpev}

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane MiQogh:
>i'd wonder how they managed to shorten quadrotriticale into loSpev... And
>i'm not sure, but are all 4 of the grains real? I know wheat and rye are
>but i forget what the other 2 are...

Quvar:
>Spock once said (I need to translate back from German to english):
>
>  "quadrotriticale is a grain of high productive value, a crossing
>   between wheat and rye; the only grain which grows on Sherman's Planet"
>
>(PS: it is known that triticale grows under rough conditions)
>Well, as far as I know, that is the real deinition for "normal" triticale.
>BTW, that word is made of the scientific names for wheat (TRITIcum) and rye
>(SeCALE).

QeS:
>                                The word {loSpev} doesn't have to have
>anything at all to do with the English word "quadrotriticale" except that
>they mean the same thing; the English word hasn't been somehow "translated"
>into the Klingon one. (That being said, the first syllable {loS-} may have
>some connection to the English "quadro-"-prefix. I guess at the existence of
>an ancient word *{pev} that refers to some specific type of grain.)
>
>I don't know what you mean by that. I believe "quadrotriticale" was invented
>for Star Trek, but there is a real grain called "triticale", which is a
>cross between wheat and rye. One assumes that the quadrotriticale of the
>Star Trek universe is a mutated or further domesticated variant of true
>triticale.

Lady K'Lyssia:
>IIRC Quadrotriticale was described as a four-lobed hybrid of Wheat and Rye -
>so a mutated strain of triticale.

Quadrotriticale is (will be?) a four-lobed rehybridization of the parent
grain, developed in Russia according to Chekhov. (TOS "The Trouble with
Tribbles" & DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations")  As has been mentioned, there
is a real-world 20th century hybrid of wheat and rye, known as triticale,
found in Canada.  When the topic came up before, someone posted a link to
an interesting article:

   Triticale (X Triticosecale Wittmack) is a man-made crop developed by
   crossing wheat (Triticum turgidum or Triticum aestivum) with rye
   (Secale cereale). Early attempts to cross wheat and rye produced only
   sterile offspring. It was not until the 1930s that techniques were
   available to produce fertile hybrids. Once this step was accomplished,
   it was possible to develop new combinations between wheat and rye as
   well as direct combinations between triticales with differing wheat
   and rye parents. Consequently, new varieties of winter or spring triti-
   cale can be developed with the same methods used for breeding other
   cereal crops. In 1953, the University of Manitoba began the first North
   American triticale breeding program. Early breeding efforts concentrated
   on developing a high yielding, drought tolerant human food crop species
   suitable for marginal wheat producing areas. In contrast, more recent
   programs concentrate on developing improved animal feed and fodder
   varieties for production under a number of diverse environmental
   conditions.

The entire article can be found
at
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex127?opendocument