tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 26 05:11:48 2006

Re: KLBC

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>I'm curious... I was told some where here (i THINK)
>that Klingon verbs were only 3 letters long...

jangpu' ter'eS, ja':
>Most Klingon words (nouns, verbs, whatever) are
>3 letters, CVC, long, but there's no rule that
>they have to be.  Many words break that pattern.

To clarify: a syllable can be CV, CVC, CVrgh, CVy', or CVw' (in the last
one, where V is not {o} or {u}). {-oy} is obviously a case unto itself - but
let's not open that can of worms again. {{:)

Most roots in Klingon are a single syllable, but some are longer. Two verbs
(and only two, IIRC) are disyllabic: {lo'laH} "be valuable" and {nughI'}
"twist knuckle into the forehead of"; every other verb is monosyllabic.
Multisyllabic nouns, on the other hand, are rife. {tu'HomI'raH} "something
useless", the only quadrisyllabic root in Klingon, is a noun.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D21550&_t=21550&_r=endtext&_m=EXT