tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 26 16:04:28 2006

Re: KLBC

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

Maybe i need ot watch that again, but i was under teh impression that it was actually a mixture of 4 popular grains...
QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>Oh yea, and i managed to convince my dad to get TKD,

povqu'! ngeDchoHbej ghojtaHghachlIj.

>If i didn't know anything about tlhIngan Hol or any other
>language, i'd wonder how they managed to shorten quadrotriticale into
>loSpev...

You don't need a rule to tell you that. Word roots are very variable among
languages. The word for "staircase" is one syllable in Klingon ({letlh}),
but three in French and six in Ubykh. The word {loSpev} doesn't have to have
anything at all to do with the English word "quadrotriticale" except that
they mean the same thing; the English word hasn't been somehow "translated"
into the Klingon one. (That being said, the first syllable {loS-} may have
some connection to the English "quadro-"-prefix. I guess at the existence of
an ancient word *{pev} that refers to some specific type of grain.)

>And i'm not sure, but are all 4 of the grains real?

I don't know what you mean by that. I believe "quadrotriticale" was invented
for Star Trek, but there is a real grain called "triticale", which is a
cross between wheat and rye. One assumes that the quadrotriticale of the
Star Trek universe is a mutated or further domesticated variant of true
triticale.

>I know wheat and rye are but i forget what the
>other 2 are...

This is a bit off-topic, but there are more than four types of grain. In
addition to triticale, wheat, rye, the various millets, sorghum, oats,
barley, rice, and maize are all major types of grain, and would probably all
fall under the Klingon term {tIr}.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Shopping made easy @ tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Freferrer%3DnmsnHMetagv1&_t=753082530&_r=emailtagline&_m=EXT