tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 26 16:23:42 2006

Re: KLBC

Lady K'Lyssia ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

> Maybe i need ot watch that again, but i was under teh impression that it
> was actually a mixture of 4 popular grains...
> QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
> >Oh yea, and i managed to convince my dad to get TKD,
>
> povqu'! ngeDchoHbej ghojtaHghachlIj.
>
> >If i didn't know anything about tlhIngan Hol or any other
> >language, i'd wonder how they managed to shorten quadrotriticale into
> >loSpev...
>
> You don't need a rule to tell you that. Word roots are very variable among
> languages. The word for "staircase" is one syllable in Klingon ({letlh}),
> but three in French and six in Ubykh. The word {loSpev} doesn't have to
> have
> anything at all to do with the English word "quadrotriticale" except that
> they mean the same thing; the English word hasn't been somehow
> "translated"
> into the Klingon one. (That being said, the first syllable {loS-} may have
> some connection to the English "quadro-"-prefix. I guess at the existence
> of
> an ancient word *{pev} that refers to some specific type of grain.)
>
> >And i'm not sure, but are all 4 of the grains real?
>
> I don't know what you mean by that. I believe "quadrotriticale" was
> invented
> for Star Trek, but there is a real grain called "triticale", which is a
> cross between wheat and rye. One assumes that the quadrotriticale of the
> Star Trek universe is a mutated or further domesticated variant of true
> triticale.

IIRC Quadrotriticale was described as a four-lobed hybrid of Wheat and Rye -
so a mutated strain of triticale.

Carol Hightshoe
www.klyssia.com
www.loreleisignal.com
www.wolfsingerpubs.com
http://klyssia.blogspot.com/
Don't Write What You Know; Write What You Care About -- Passionately!

Back to archive top level