tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 13:50:02 2004

Re: use and purpose of this list.

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, David Trimboli wrote:
> From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> > Now, the flip side.  You don't get off unscathed.  :)  I've said this MANY
> > times before, and it's almost always in response to the *same* handful of
> > people on this list.
>
> How's this for flip side: you keep repeating the same position over and over
> to the same handful of people on the list.  This gets annoying after a
> while.  We've heard you.  We've heard him.

You may have heard me, but you obviously haven't listened.  I state
explicitly that I know I'm repeating the same position over and over, and
I know it's to the same people on the list.  That's because those people,
namely, you and Alan Anderson, don't seem to "get it".  This is not your
list to control and enforce your will on.  There are people here who will
have different opinions, which goes on to your line here...

> hell I'm talking about.  IF YOU WANT TO BELIEVE SOMETHING I DON'T, FEEL
> FREE.

You mention later "double standard".  I totally agree.  You say we can
believe in anything we want, but when we put up ideas contrary to your
authoritarian view of the language, we have to listen to you two come back
complaining about how we should go study some other language, or how we
should give up on any attempts to compare Klingon to other languages.

I've personally stopped caring what you two think the future of Klingon
should be.  What I'm on about now is the fact that you two can't seem to
"let it go" and *quietly* and *politely* accept that there are people here
who may not share that view, and let us chase down blind linguistic alleys
that you think you've already explored.

> And I think you'll find that some of us come across as brusque whether we
> agree with you or not.  You just like to notice that selectively.

No, I just notice that when I see someone respond vehemently to someone's
ideas, I notice that it's written by one of you two.  That's not selective
identification, it's "pattern recognition".

> How many DOZENS of denigrating messages has lay'tel SIvten sent to the list,

And how many dozens of rude messages have you sent back?  Let it go.  Put
him on "ignore".  Filter his address out of your mail client.  Give me one
good reason why, if you think he's such a troll, you still continue to
read his email and fire back volleys in retaliation?  Obviously, none of
us new people are going to have anything interesting to you two gurus, so
why bother reading anything on this list anyway?

> we all tried to discuss them fairly.  Eventually, the "*same* handful of
> people on this list" have gotten tired of listening to their constructed
> language of choice insulted, and they get angry.  And when someone gets

Welcome to the world.  Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like,
it protects the speech you don't like.  If you want to get angry at
someone, get angry at those people who think we're all morons for studying
a language based on a science fiction series -- not those who simply
complain there isn't a past tense or whatever.

Yes, I'm being contradictory.  You're right.  You have every right to
continue posting ivory tower edicts about how the language should work in
your world.  I just wish you two could see how much your attitudes are
putting everyone else off.

> vindicated.  The fact that I am easily upset by people attacking in a cold,
> emotionless medium shouldn't affect the validity of what I say, but it does.

Oh, so it IS about "the validity" of what you say?  I thought you said
people could believe what they wanted.  No, I don't think that's it.

> Ah, but ghunchu'wI' said it *in* Klingon.  His post was more on-topic than
> mine is.  And if we're not allowed to tell anybody what to do on the list,
> that includes you telling him not to tell someone else what to do.
>
> Or are you going to appeal to common decency?  Like the decency not to
> regularly insult the topic of a discussion group, and not to intentionally
> offend the members of that group?

I think you're taking the "insult" personally.  I don't think it's an
insult to Klingon to compare it, favorably or infavorably, to anything.  I
think what's happened here is that you take it as an insult that someone
actually disagrees with you on a regular basis.

> How do you say "double standard" in Klingon?

You should know this, shouldn't you?  /DavHam/  There, now I'm on-topic,
too.  :P

To wit, I'm going to take my own advice and /dev/null mail from you and
Alan from now on.  I do respect the amount of knowledge of the language
the two of you bring to the table, but it's not worth the trouble of
listening to you two bitch about how some of the more "progressive", shall
we say, ideas somehow actually get you 'angry'.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
       "In the end, everything is a gag." -- Charlie Chaplin

Back to archive top level