tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 12:54:45 2004

Re: use and purpose of this list.

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 11:02, David Trimboli wrote:

snip...

> We're perfectly happy to discuss alternate viewpoints.  We're NOT
> required to agree with them, any more than those espousing them
> are required to agree with us.  I do NOT claim any special
> authority, except that I know what the hell I'm talking about.
> IF YOU WANT TO BELIEVE SOMETHING I DON'T, FEEL FREE.
>
> And I think you'll find that some of us come across as brusque
> whether we agree with you or not.  You just like to notice that
> selectively.

I do not have a position in this debate.  However, I will say that I
also have felt that some of the members of this list reacted
strongly to my posts about OpenOffice.org (OOo) for Klingon.  It is
true that I arrived suddenly on this list and was excessively
exuberant about the possibility of an ooklingon klingon project,
for which I have apologized in the past and will again acknowledge
that I have been over zealous.

However, from my perspective, I came to this list with something of
a gift: a powerful office suite which would help you communicate in
Klingon, and although I was over zealous, I do also think that some
members of this list reacted somewhat in excess in correcting my
admittedly over zealous behavior.

The members of this list have shown little interest in the ooklingon
project, which I respect.  Everyone has their own favorite
projects, and I can understand that reasonable minds could see
little interest in the ooklingon project.

However, I would urge greater restraint from some members of the
list in voicing their opinions to those who have not attained a
comparable skill level.  It is true that I don't yet have time to
master Klingon, and yet I do find it fascinating that this language
has stepped off of my TV set and into the real world, and I like to
see it flourish.  I came here in the spirit of facilitating the
further development of Klingon, but I am not sure that I could say
that I felt that I was received as well as I would have hoped.

Still, I understand that people are people, and I am willing to take
the good with the bad.  I respect the effort that you have put into
building your community, and I understand that respect in this
community is, to a certain degree, earned by one's contributions to
the usage of Klingon.  While I have contributed little to that end
in direct means, in all due respect, I feel that I have offered,
and will continue to offer, this community a viable tool for the
pursuit of its enjoyment of Klingon.

Qo'loS, aka Christian Einfeldt

Back to archive top level